From the lush jungles and forests of Hajir, to cities of Xiangur, or the plains of Kenabu, the monkey-like vanaras seek to change the world to fit their ideals. Vanara that hail from Hajir will often fight in vast armies that oppose equally powerful armies of demons, while those from Xiangur seek individual enlightenment and have the will to stand against the celestial status quo. Vanara from Kenabu put themselves between armies to broker peace, risking the ire of both sides to set their worlds right.
A vanara's body is covered in a thin coat of soft fur, and individuals with chestnut, ivory, and even golden coats are common. Despite their fur, vanaras can grow lengthy hair on their head just as humans can, and both male and female vanaras take pains to wear elaborate hairstyles for important social functions. The hair on a vanara's head matches the color of its fur. All vanaras have long, prehensile tails and handlike feet capable of well-articulated movements. A vanara stands slightly shorter and weighs slightly less than a typical human.
Vanaras feel that their ideals and bonds are the most important things about them. They will defend these to the death. They tend to be highly emotional, prone to anger, joy, and tears that come more easily than they do to other races. They are usually optimistic to a fault, overestimating their own capabilities at times, which can get them into trouble.
Vanara tend not to respect authority, but when they give their loyalty to another, they are loyal to the end, often putting themselves at great risk to honor it. They are bold and courageous when they have the upper hand or a group of allies, but can sometimes be cowardly when alone or at a disadvantage. They tend towards mischief in their youth, and some carry this into adulthood. The often enjoy playing pranks on their friends and enemies.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
- Age. Vanara mature at the same rate as humans, but only live about 60 years.
- Size. Vanaras are Medium creatures.
- Alignment. Any Vanara can be good, neutral or evil. Vanaras from Xiangur tend towards chaos, Vanaras from Hajir tend towards law (at least later in life), and Vanaras from Kenabu tend towards neutrality.
- Size. Vanara tend to be no taller than about 5 feet.
- Speed. Your base speed is 30 feet and your climb speed is 30 feet.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Vanaran and Imperial Common.
- Nimble. Vanaras have Advantage on Acrobatics and Stealth checks.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
- Darkvision. You have darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Prehensile Tail. A Hajiri vanara has a long, flexible tail that she can use to carry objects. She can wield finesse weapons with her tail, and the tail allows her to retrieve small objects carried on her person as a bonus action.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
- Stable Build. Kenabu vanara are more like baboons than the monkeys that most vanaras resemble. Their stooping build grants Advantage against being tripped or moved against their will. These vanaras usually have a thick mane of hair on the head and shoulders, and shorter, useless tails.
Xiangurese (East Asian)
- Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
- Sage Lore. Some vanaras have spent their lives among humans in centers of learning instead of traditional treetop homes. These vanaras gain Advantage on any two Intelligence skills.
- Prehensile Tail. A Xiangurese vanara has a long, flexible tail that she can use to carry objects. She can wield finesse weapons with her tail, and the tail allows her to retrieve small objects carried on her person as a bonus action.